Saturday 21 June 2008

Bristol Zoo Part 1/3 - Reptiles & Insects

So I finally paid a (long overdue) visit to the Zoo a few days ago. Low light conditions and glass enclosures (meaning no flash and nasty reflections from ambient lighting) made some shots hell to take. I had 3 choices - underexpose my pictures, use a higher ISO (which also means more noise) or somehow remain totally still while the picture was being taken. Ultimately, only the first 2 options were viable so I had to play around with the settings and reach a reasonable compromise. Some shots though were just simply unshootable so I left it at that.

I wouldn't say the shots were fantastic, but it definitely was something different compared to what I've been shooting all along. Sadly, my camera died early in this trip. I do not know if it's a fault with the camera itself or the batteries, but I ran through 2 pairs of batteries shooting only less than 200 pictures/2 hours. As a result, I missed some rather interesting shots :(

Anywho, on to the pictures.

Omg whodunit!?


I wonder what he's grinning at...


I have to say, I really liked the skin 's level of detail in this picture


His facial expression reminds me of a certain, oft-used MSN smiley. Agree?


It's a leaf! It's an insect! No - it's a leaf insect!


Can be really hard to tell which is leaf and which is insect at first glance

Not so clever now eh?


Here, have a random beetle


That's it for Part 1. Can't promise when I can get the remaining 2 parts up but I'll do what I can.


4 comments:

benlim said...

lol that leaf insect is one cool species.

Killl_Roy said...

wah damn siok your camera.

but this is the reptile section? lol

Moe said...

Ben, apparently, that variant of leaf insect was imported from Cameron Highlands :O

Roy, thanks :D
Well, reptile AND insects. I'm glad you liked one picture so much you ported it to MSN :P

Killl_Roy said...

hmph24